Friday 21 October 2011

The Math Equation

Today I'm going to go off on a rampage. Why you ask? Well, because something has been bothering me for years off and on and yesterday someone reminded me how much. I think and this is only my opinion, that kids aren't required to use their brains in school anymore with all the electronics out there.  The one subject that comes to mind is math.

When my kids went to school they weren't allowed to have a calculator until grade ten, now a calculator is manditory on school supplies lists as early as grade three.  The sad thing is, the kids never learn the art of doing math in their heads and as far as I'm concerned, you should be able to, at least, know your basic times table, or be able to calculate how much money you'll save if an item is 10% off and also be able to subtract that amount from the original price.

I see it every day, even with my own kids, they rely so much on electronics to do the work for them, their minds are lazy.  It really isn't their fault, that's how they were taught -- I wish the schools would turn back time, if only to the time when they  actually wanted our kids to be smart.

Nuff said, thanks for listening.


Have a great day and weekend.
C. Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment